Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Sports Fans Who Act As Though They Own The Team


I'm not a sports fan AT ALL, but I find it very amusing to observe die-hard sports fans. A few things I have noticed of them:

They tend to talk as though they OWN the team, I was listening to the radio today and they were commenting on things such as "our offense____", or "we lost (a players name)". I really don't understand this mind set. They also know the teams line up like the back of their hands, they have their stats memorized, then they proceed to debate that "their" team is going to cream this team or that team because (then they proceed to quote players on injured lists, poor performers or whatever). Ya know, they act as though they are an independent PAID consultant for the team and that their knowledge base actually matters to the game! I have gotten many-O-days of silent laughter as the break room debates rage on about one team or another.

So here's my take on the whole sports [over] enthusiast debate: "Fellas, these athletes are HUMAN not machines. They don't have a list of 'specs' from the factory on the box or, in this case, tattooed on their ass. So your star player breaks their thumb in some crazy play. Oops, I guess all your fervent debate was all for naught. Or what if they are in the middle of a nasty divorce or a family member just died? Those things could throw a game WAY OFF. Oh yeah, and most importantly, ITS JUST A DAMN GAME!!! I mean, I have no problem with people enjoying the sport for pure enjoyment sake, I don't even have a problem with people gambling on game outcomes, but I do laugh my ass off when people get in such fervent debates as though they have a direct phone line to the team manager as if their strategies, debate and posturing even matter to the team.

So just save your breath, your time and most of all, your blood pressure and just enjoy the game for what it is--- A GAME!!!

No comments: